pro Fit 7.0 public beta
Current beta version: 7.0.0 B8
Note: This beta version is only available to users who have purchased pro Fit 6.2. The final version of pro Fit 7.0 will be free for anyone who purchased pro Fit 6.2 since January 1, 2014. Upgrades will be available for all other current 6.2 users.
Also, please note that this is beta software. As such, the likelihood for the application to contain major issues is larger than for regular software. Hence, be carefule. We do not recommend to use beta quality software on production systems.
What's new in version 7.0.0?
Welcome to pro Fit 7. We have rebuilt pro Fit from the ground up to complete the transition to cocoa and the latest Mac OS X technologies. We have done this while trying to avoid a total break with the past, and we believe we have succeeded with maintaining familiar paradigms and functionalities for current users. However, some things needed to take on a slightly new shape, and during the rewrite process we also added several new features. This document is a short summary of the main differences between pro Fit 7 and the previous versions.
Windows and Documents
Like its predecessors, pro Fit 7 uses several different kinds of documents (text documents for scripts or function definitions; data; drawings/plots) that appear in three different kind of windows. The appearance of the windows has been modified as part of the transition to the new Mac OS X technologies we are now using, and there are some general new functionalities:
- All windows now have a toolbar. Control click on the toolbar, or choose "Customize toolbar..." from the file menu to change its appearance, e.g. make the icons smaller, remove the text, or add new items.
- Documents are autosaved into their respective documents according to your System Preference settings. Previous versions of the same file can be retrieved using the "Revert To" entry in the File menu.
Drawing windows and the way their content is edited have undergone the most changes in pro Fit 7.
- Previous versions of pro Fit had a "coords window" to display relevant coordinates for the selected shapes. This feature has now been greatly expanded with the introduction of an Inspector window. Not only can you view and edit shape coordinates, you can now use this inspector window also to modify shape settings like color, shadows, font style or rotation. Just explore the various editing options. They are too many to list here. Let's just mention that you can now do such things as rotate the current plot by 27 degrees clockwise, if this is how you prefer to present your data...
- The toolbar has been redesigned and extends horizontally across the window. In addition, there is an option in the preferences for the drawing window to have what we call a "quick access" panel appear in the top-left corner of the drawing window. This panel allows quick access to a subset of the shapes that are supported by pro Fit, and to a subset of shape properties (things like line width, or line dash).
- Text shapes now support a larger number of user-settable text attributes.
- Graphs can be edited using a non-modal graph options window. Graphs be zoomed in and out by clicking them with the option key held down. Bar charts can be stacked.
- There are some new kinds of shapes, such as callouts, symmetric polygons and stars.
- pro Fit 7 supports a number standard user-interface gestures, like pinching on the trackpad to zoom into a drawing.
- Various keyboard shortcuts allow access to important drawing features.
Working with data remains essentially unchanged. Some minor upgrades include:
- A new toolbar allows to access the commonly used commands by single mouse clicked.
- Some data analysis tools (e.g. correlation, convolution, binning) have been moved to non-modal windows such that they can be kept open while working on your data.
Text windows now use the latest text editing engine of MacOS.
Improved support for unicode.
Other notable new features
pro Fit 7 supports several new features. Here is a list of the most important ones.
- 64 bit architecture: pro Fit comes as a universal binary and runs in 64 bit mode by default. If you need to run pro Fit under 32 bit (e.g. because you want to link to a 32 bit plug-in or Python module), you can set it to run under 32 bit mode by choosing Get Info in the Finder.
- Global search: It is now possible to search for a text string simultaneously in all text, data, and drawing windows.
- Sandboxing: pro Fit 7 is a sandboxed application, supporting all standard security features offered by the OS. As a side effect, the location of the plug-in folder has changed. To locate it, choose "Open user's plug-in folder" from the "Customize" menu.
- Scripting: pro Fit 7 changed the interfaces to some commands, which sometimes required that some of the programming interfaces be modified, too. In addition, we harmonized some naming conventions in our programming interfaces. Please see the "programming" read me file for more details.
- The fitting engine now can (optionally) use long-double precision for enhanced accuracy.
- pro Fit's GUI now supports high-resolution on retina displays.
Since pro Fit 7 is sandboxed, it cannot access files outside its application container (under ~/Library/Containers/com.quansoft.profit) without explicit user permission. Therefore:
- If you are running a script that accesses files outside pro Fit's containers, e.g. in your Documents folder, you must grant pro Fit explicit permission to do so: Choose Preferences form the pro Fit menu, and navigate to the tab Security. Then, add the desired directory to the list of accessible directories. The permission will be permanently stored, i.e. it will persist even if you restart pro Fit.
- The "pro Fit plug-ins" folder, which contains scripts and plug-ins to be automatically loaded during start-up, is now placed in pro Fit's container (under ~/Library/Containers/com.quansoft.profit/Data/Library/Application Support/com.quansoft.profit/pro Fit plug-ins). To navigate to that folder, choose "Open User's Plug-in folder" from the cutomize menu.
This information can also be found by clicking "What's new" in the welcome screen.
pro Fit 7.0 has been designed for MacOS X 10.9. It has not been tested on any earlier versions of MacOS X.
We release pro Fit beta versions in order to obtain comments from our users. These will help us to improve the final product. So, if you observe any problems with the beta or if you have proposals for its improvement, please send a message to email@example.com or go to our bug report page.
Beta versions of any type of program have been known to contain serious bugs that affect the integrity of the computer they are being run on. Hence, our lawyers tell us to tell you this: do not use this beta version on a computer containing critical data.
This beta version is time limited. Make sure to check www.quansoft.com regularly for the release of newer beta versions. Any user who bought pro Fit 6.2 since June 1, 2014 will get a free upgrade to the final version of pro Fit 7.0. If you have bought pro Fit 6.2 before June 1, 2014, you are entitled to obtain an upgrade for a reduced fee.
The documentation included in the present beta version has not yet been updated completely.